Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Page 2: Tumblr and other things I shield my sister from

My sister just came into my parents' room and asked me what tumblr is. I wasn't sure how to answer so I just shrugged. Then she pressed more about by asking if it was like posting pictures as stuff. Again, I just kind of shrugged and nodded. "So like instagram?" "Yea, sure, like instagram." So she thanked me and left the room. Tumblr is nothing like instagram in my opinion but I wasn't about to tell her that. II shield my sister from things, it's just what I do.
I try and shield her from things on tv, on the computer and in life.  I know she is growing up but she's my little sister. My sister and I were brought up shielded, I guess. We don't curse, don't watch inappropriate things, blah blah blah. But just because our parents brought US up like that, doesn't mean  the rest of the world was brought up that way. Everyone around us curses, tv is more inappropriate than i don't even know what, and school doesn't help. My 'baby' sister is growing up, but I don't really want her to. I don't want her to watch Pretty Little Liars, I don't want her on tumblr, I don't want her to grow up. I mean I grew up, but I am also a kid. My sister is so different than me though, so maybe when she grows up, she won't also be a kid. I just want my little sister to stay little. I don't want her to deal with grown up garbage that I was forced into when I was little. But, she acts gown up and acts like she can take it. She doesn't know what she would be getting into, and I don't want her to have to deal anything that her big sister can do and take care of for her. Of course she is going to have to deal with some things on her own, like mean girls and stuff, but things family-wise and stuff, I want to deal with so she doesn't have to.
I shield my sister. I protect her. She is MY little sister.
About six or seven years ago I read the MAGIC IN MANHATTAN series (Sarah Mlynowski) I loved the sisterly relationship the two main characters had. Rachel and Miri were great characters. Miri, the younger sister, got her powers and we see how Rachel reacts. From there, the rest is history.
The younger-older sister dynamic is great.
I know I have to partially let go but she is still my little sister. And I love her. I just hope she is growing up, but will still always be my little sister. And I hope she doesn't grow up too fast.
"Sisters is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship." ~Margaret Mead

Keep Calm and Read on,
A reader with Mickey ears

No comments:

Post a Comment